Making the Most of Your Appointment
UWC PLFs promise to:
- Give you the full appointment time — 50 minutes or 25 minutes, depending on the appointment length (if you arrive on time for the Zoom appointment)
- Model active learning strategies.
- Encourage a collaborative discussion.
- Allow you to maintain ownership of your ideas.
- Offer suggestions about how to choose and narrow a topic.
- Help you brainstorm ideas for your paper.
- Help you develop organizational strategies.
- Share suggestions for how to revise.
- Guide you in effectively editing/proofreading your paper.
- Show you how to utilize their writing strengths and recognize your writing weaknesses.
In turn, we ask those of you who make UWC appointments to:
- Share a copy of your assignment and the prompt, if provided, via Google Docs at least 2 hours BEFORE the scheduled appointment time.
- Shut off your cell phones and close down other programs on your computer to eliminate distractions.
- Prioritize one assignment to discuss.
- Think about specific concerns you want to address during the appointment.
- Actively participate in the discussion.
- Be receptive to and try out alternative ideas and/or approaches suggested by the PLF.
- Ask for clarification when you don’t understand a PLF’s comment.
- Recognize that all your concerns may not be addressed in one appointment, especially in a 30-minute session.
- Schedule the appointment at least 24 hours before the paper is due.